Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière was the home to Canada’s first experimental farm and North America’s first school of agriculture, both founded in 1859.
During the siege of Quebec in 1759, the British, under Major George Scott, sought to sway French colonists. They landed in Kamouraska and set fire to nearly every house and barn whose owner failed to swear allegiance to the British Crown. Nearly 1,400 houses and farms were destroyed, including 50 houses at Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière.
In 1832, reacting to the threat of the cholera pandemic (1826-1841), the Lower Canada government instituted a quarantine camp for immigrants coming from the Saint Lawrence River: it was Grosse-Île. Then, from 1942 till 1956, the island was used by the Canadian and the American armies as a secret location to lead bacteriological experiments. They were conducting experiments on anthrax, which was never used and disposed in the Saint-Laurence at the end of the war. Since 1984, the island is a national historic site.