Milton is 500 kilometres from Parliament Hill – a five-hour drive via Hwy. 401. The riding consists of the Town of Milton and a portion of the City of Burlington.
Milton Transit and GO trains and buses provide public transportation.
Milton is on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO world biosphere reserve. The geography provides for five large conservation areas, including Kelso, Rattlesnake, and Robert Edmonson.
About 35% of the riding’s population are immigrants, with some of the largest populations born in Pakistan, India, and the United Kingdom.
Urdu, Arabic, and Spanish are the most common non-official mother tongues in the riding.
Less than 1% of the riding’s population identify as Aboriginal.
Average individual income is $55,579.
The Milton Fall Fair has taken place annually since 1854. Events include an agriculture show, midway, livestock, and Demolition Derby.
Mattamy National Cycling Centre was built for the 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games. It’s Canada’s first velodrome to meet the top international standard – one of only two in North America. It’s now home to Canada’s national cycling team and the Canadian Cycling Hall of Fame.
Notable residents include Chris Hadfield — the first Canadian to walk in space — who once took a photograph of Milton from the International Space Station
Milton’s sister city is Santa Maria, Philippines.
Top employers include Karmax Heavy Stamping, Mannheim Auto Auctions Company, and Gordon Food Service Canada.
Milton has an average family income of $105,214.
Retail trade is the top industry, with sales and service the top occupational field.
The New Communities Environmental Club started in 2013 as a cooperative effort between Conservation Halton and FutureWatch EDEP.
Milton was named for the English poet John Milton (1608-1674). The name was decided upon by the area’s first doctor (Dr. James Cobban), George Brown who would later become the first mayor of Milton, and Dr. Fell, the town’s first schoolmaster. The town was formerly known as “Martin’s Mills” after Jasper and Sarah Martin, the first residents who opened a gristmill in 1821.
The square-socket drive for screws, also called the Robertson Screw, was invented in Milton by Peter L. Robertson.