The town of Larouche was originally called Kénogami, but in 1912 William Price, the Saguenay’s leading industrialist and one of Quebec’s most powerful men, wanted to name a subdivision he was building in Jonquière Kénogami. He offered the town’s leaders $200 for the name and they were only too happy to accept.
In 1837, a group of 14 entrepreneurs who called themselves the Société des Vingt-et-Un began to harvest lumber in the area. The land, owned by the crown, was licensed to the Hudson’s Bay Company, which imposed strict restrictions on the men. They weren’t allowed to fish, farm, conduct business with the Innu, nor raise animals or grow food except for basic necessities. Alexis Simard, one of the men, defied the company’s interdiction and cultivated a plot of land. In 1924, a monument was erected to commemorate the Société des Vingt-et-Un and five years later, the sower’s statue, a monument to Alexis Simard, was added. On every June 11 since 1938, a ceremony has been held to remember the founders of the region.